By Karen Halttunen
- 30 essays discover the historical past of yankee tradition in any respect analytic levels
- Written by means of scholarly specialists well-versed within the questions and controversies that experience activated curiosity during this burgeoning field
- Part of the authoritative Blackwell partners to American background series
- Provides either a chronological and thematic method: issues diversity from British the United States within the Eighteenth Century to the fashionable day globalization of yankee tradition; thematic ways comprise gender and sexuality and well known culture
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Cultural History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Similar anthropology books
The parable of the peace-loving "noble savage" is chronic and pernicious. certainly, for the final fifty years, most well-liked and scholarly works have agreed that prehistoric battle was once infrequent, risk free, unimportant, and, like smallpox, a ailment of civilized societies on my own. Prehistoric struggle, in accordance with this view, used to be little greater than a ritualized video game, the place casualties have been restricted and the results of aggression really light.
SLAVERY, SMALLHOLDING AND TOURISM explores the political economic system of improvement within the British Virgin Islands — from plantations, during the evolution of a smallholding economic climate, to the increase of tourism. The examine argues that the death of plantation financial system within the BVI ushered in a century of imperial disinterest persisting until eventually lately, while a brand new “monocrop” — tourism — turned ascendant.
Exploring the controversy inside of social sciences at the effects of ethnic range for social team spirit and the creation of public items, this publication attracts on wide survey information from Germany to interact with questions surrounding the connection among ethnic variety and matters reminiscent of welfare provision and the erosion of public belief and civic engagement in Europe.
An excessive amount of Invested to give up specializes in the functions of paradigms within the solution of diplomacy, taking as backdrop matters in marriage, exertions disputes, and value wars. The manuscript first deals details at the greenback public sale online game, an easy video game that may be hired in huge teams or in laboratory events.
- Strangers and Neighbors: Multiculturalism, Conflict, and Community in America
- Australians in Shanghai: Race, Rights and Nation in Treaty Port China
- Us, Relatives: Scaling and Plural Life in a Forager World (Ethnographic Studies in Subjectivity)
- Transcultural Memory
- Racial Science in Hitler's New Europe, 1938-1945 (Critical Studies in the History of Anthropology)
Extra info for A Companion to American Cultural History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to American Cultural History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Karen Halttunen